The Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia would be pleased to receive nominations for International Research Visiting Fellowships (IRVFs) for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Visiting fellows will be expected to spend a minimum of three weeks between September 2017 and May 2018 to engage in high quality collaborative and innovative research with researchers in the Faculty of Education at UBC. It is expected that fellows will be internationally acclaimed scholars in their respective fields, as evident through track-records of research, scholarly publications, knowledge mobilization, major recognitions, and grant funding. It is also expected that the funds will act as a catalyst for subsequent collaborative research with UBC researchers beyond the time of their stay at UBC. Please note that these fellowships are distinct from the Faculty’s ‘Noted Summer Scholars’ program, which is geared towards teaching.
IRVF funds (up to $10,000 per award) may be used towards travel, accommodation, per diem expenses (https://finance.ubc.ca/travel/private/reconcile/private/meal-diems (login with CWL to access page)), and research/meeting costs. Funds are for operating expenses and cannot be used to purchase computers or equipment. As a condition of the award, it is expected that visiting fellows will give at least one research talk (open to members of the University as well as general public).
The International Research Visiting Fellowship scheme has a two-stage reporting process. Nominators should provide an Interim Report within one (1) month of the departure of the International Visitor. The Interim Report should provide a detailed outline of the activities undertaken during the visit and an indication of the anticipated medium-to-long term outcomes of the visit.
A Final Report is also required within twelve (12) months of the departure of the International Visitor. The Final Report must include details on the outcomes in terms of external grant applications and clearly outline how the University’s Strategic Priorities have been met in accordance with the information provided in the approved application.
Both reports should be submitted to the Faculty’s Office of Research in Education. Failure to submit final reports may prevent eligibility for future internal funding.
- Nominee must be an outstanding researcher as assessed through their track-records of research, publications, knowledge mobilization, major recognitions, and grant funding.
- Nominee must be from a University outside of Canada.
- Proposal maps out a clear plan for collaboration during their visit at UBC, involving faculty, postdocs, and students within the Faculty of Education. Evidence of the potential for the proposed work to catalyse scholarly/research initiatives within and outside of the Faculty is expected.
- Quality of the proposed research that will be conducted as part of, and following, the visit to UBC. An emphasis on the innovative nature of the proposed work should be evident within the proposal.
- Articulated plan to engage in dissemination of research, including a minimum of one public talk.
Three awards (up to $10,000/fellow) will be made available within the 2017-2018 academic year. They will be adjudicated on merit according to the evaluation criteria. Each department/school is limited to submitting two nominations for adjudication. Nominations must be submitted on the attached form, that will include a statement of the proposed work being conducted at UBC, the nature of the collaboration(s) to be pursued, expected outcomes, budget, and plans for knowledge exchange. Funds will be awarded to the UBC nominator (referred to as the IRVF ‘Host’), and administered by the relevant department or school. Fellows will be provided with office space within the Faculty of Education. Nominations must include a complete and signed UBC Research Project Information Form (RPIF). See: https://research.ubc.ca/support-resources/forms-tools-resources/research-project-information-form
- Completed Nomination Form
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae – Short CV form – maximum 5 pages (include all grants and publications over past 5 years).
- Completed UBC Research Project Information Form (RPIF)
Please submit nomination packages to Dr. Heather Frost (email@example.com) by May 30, 2017. Inquiries, as well as one month and 12-month final reports should be directed to Dr. Frost.