WestCAST 2018 Contemporary Classrooms as Complex Spaces
February 21 – 23, 2018, Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
Proposal submission deadline: September 30, 2017
The WestCAST 2018 program planning committee invites potential presenters to imagine, design, and enact sessions that address the conference theme and engage delegates in interactive learning.
Conference theme: “Contemporary Classrooms as Complex Spaces” is the overarching theme for WestCAST 2018. As part of this theme, the Friday sessions will be devoted to “Education for Reconciliation”. Spurred by factors such as revolutionary advances in knowledge, new technologies and literacies, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action, pressing global issues and shifting demographics, educators’ views on curriculum, teaching and learning are fundamentally changing. Who are the learners in our contemporary classrooms? How can educators create effective learning environments for learners across the diversity spectrum, and what are the considerations when planning for teaching? How do we track and share evidence of learning? What is a culturally responsive learning environment? How do we weave Aboriginal perspectives into our practice? How do teachers address the unique needs of learners through differentiation? What is evidence-informed practice? How do we engage learners in relevant, authentic, and meaningful learning? How do teachers empower learners to see themselves as agents of change?
The review process: Proposals will be peer reviewed by members of the WestCAST 2018 program committee following a set of review criteria. The reviewers’ process aims to ensure quality, alignment with our conference theme and an overall balance of presentations.
Criteria for selection:
- Alignment with the conference theme
- Clarity of ideas
- Links to current theory, research, and/or professional literature (for pedagogical workshops)
- Methodological, theoretical, and/or pedagogical soundness (for paper presentations)
- Relevance for beginning teachers
- Teaching and learning workshops will be 60 minutes in length. Workshops demonstrate teaching practices that skillfully and explicitly reflect current educational thinking and scholarship. Through active, hands-on learning, workshops introduce participants to both the “why and how” of current teaching ideas and practices. Workshops inspire participants to apply new approaches and techniques with learners and investigate them further on their own.
- Paper presentations consist of thematically grouped presentations sharing the results of recently completed research (conceptual or empirical) in the field of education undertaken by teacher candidates, alone or with their professors, followed by an interactive period open to discussion with the audience. The presentation time will be shared equally among three presenters so that each has 20 minutes, 15 minutes for presentation and five minutes for dialogue. The program committee will group related presentations.
Technology information: Please bring your own device (e.g., laptop or tablet) as presentation rooms will not be equipped with computers. Rooms will be equipped with LCD projectors, SmartBoards with speakers, and Internet connections. Projectors have a VGA connection only. If your device does not have a VGA port, be sure to bring the appropriate adaptor. Technology assistance will be provided before the start of each session. Other audio-visual equipment may be provided upon request subject to availability.
Steps to submitting a proposal:
- Download the WestCAST 2018 proposal fillable PDF form.
- Complete the form in full by typing your responses in each of the blank boxes.
- Save the completed PDF form using your name and the title of the presentation separated by a comma as the file label (e.g., Francine Morin, Designing culturally responsive arts lessons).
- Email your proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org September 30, 2017.
- Notification letters regarding acceptance will be sent to the lead presenter only via email by November 15, 2017.
For further information, please contact us at: email@example.com