Teacher Education For All (TEFA)
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
Dean Frank participated in the first panel discussion of the year for Teacher Education for All discussing what was learned in the first year of TEFA and how the work of TEFA will move forward.
Morning Tea with the Dean
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
Dean Frank hosted the semi-annual Morning Tea with the Dean event. Many staff and faculty came out to enjoy some light refreshments and engage in conversation with their colleagues.
South China Normal University Delegation
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Dean Frank hosted the South China Normal University Delegation to discuss possible areas of collaboration and have the Statement of Collaboration signing ceremony.
- Mr. Shen Wenhuai, Vice-president of South China Normal University
- Mr. Xiong Jianwen, Director of Teaching Affairs’ Office
- Ms. Liu Wei, Director of Financial Affairs’ Office
- Mr. Zhou Hebing, Deputy Director of Office of Development and Planning
- Ms. Xu Manfei, Vice-dean of School of Foreign Studies
- Ms. Chen Xiaoling, Program Director of Office of International Exchange and Cooperation
- Dr. Blye Frank, Dean
- Ms. Anna Bin, Senior Manager, Faculty Affairs & HR
- Dr. Mark Edwards, Assistant Dean, Professional Development and Community Engagement
Visit to Kelowna
Thursday, October 12, 2017
Dean Frank spent the day on the UBC Okanagan campus for various meetings regarding the possibility of a merger of the two faculties of education.
Visit to New Indigenous Teacher Education Program Field Centre
Friday, October 13, 2017
Dean Frank, along with Dr. Jan Hare, Associate Dean, Indigenous Education, Ms. Jessica La Rochelle, Assistant Director, Indigenous Teacher Education Program (NITEP), and Ms. Natalie Simkin, Program Administrative Support, NITEP, visited the newly opened NITEP field centre in Williams Lake, BC.
Education Students’ Association (ESA) lunch
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Dean Frank hosted the annual Education Students’ Association (ESA) lunch.
Members of the 2017/2018 ESA:
- Arnel Aliwalas, President
- Dana Ebtekar, Director of Internal Affairs
- Jonathan Hultquist, Director of External Affairs
- Yoni Pinkhasik, Director of Finance
- Alex Heiberg-Harrison, Director of Administration
- Sara Coyle, Sales/Communication Coordinator
- Alanna Jekubik, Grad Coordinator
- Alexandra Glinsbockel, Academic Coordinator
- Ashley Tam, Social Coordinator
- Albert Tung, AMS Representative
- Catherine Blais-Crepeau, Ombudsperson
- Jawad Qureshy, Athletics Coordinator
- David Robinson, NITEP Representative
Opening of Wingspan
Friday, October 20, 2017
Dean Frank provided opening remarks for the grand opening of the Wingspan Dis/Ability Arts, Culture and Public Pedagogy Symposium, organized by Dr. Leslie Roman, Professor, Department of Educational Studies (EDST). The symposium took place at UBC on October 19-21, 2017.
The Wingspan Collaborative is a VPRI Research Excellence Cluster and an intellectual ‘studio’ of interdisciplinary scholars in disability studies, arts, culture and public pedagogy across many disciplines at UBC who collaborate on common projects regarding the rights of people with disabilities and who proactively promote the idea that while individual disabilities pose impairments, they should not be seen as deficits but instead as differences that enrich collective human experience and the arts. We identify variously as disabled, non-disabled or as artists who focus on disability aesthetics and linger in the liminal spaces between and among artist/researcher/teacher in the broadest sense of these terms, hence, we are Dis/A/R/Tographers in an unequal global world.
Monday, October 23, 2017
Dean Frank, along with Dr. Wendy Carr, Associate Dean, Teacher Education, and Dr. Mark Edwards, Assistant Dean, Professional Development and Community Engagement (PDCE), attended various meetings pertaining to our West Kootenay Rural Teacher Education Program (WKTEP). Some of the meetings included:
- A consortium meeting with superintendents
- Nelson Innovation Centre Advisory Committee meeting
- MEd info session
- Reception for alumni and friends of WKTEP
UBC Strategic Plan Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Dean Frank attended a UBC Strategic Plan Steering Committee meeting continuing discussions for the University’s next strategic plan.
Association of Canadian Deans of Education (ACDE) meetings
October 26-27, 2017
Dean Frank attended the fall meeting of the Association of Canadian Deans of Education (ACDE) in Montreal. The three main areas of focus for the meeting were:
- Accommodations in Teacher Education Programs
- Educational Research
- Environmental and Sustainability Education