The Wall Scholar Research Award provides support for full-time, tenured or tenure-track UBC faculty members to spend one year in residence at the Peter Wall Institute, in a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment. Wall Scholars are chosen among leading UBC researchers from all academic disciplines, with the objective of creating a dynamic and diverse intellectual community at the Institute. We seek to foster sustained and transformational intellectual engagement among UBC researchers and visitors at the PWIAS. The program benefits the participants in various ways, including:
- Enhancing opportunities for world-class scholars to have regular and meaningful exchange of ideas across traditional academic disciplines, fostering new research directions and serving as a catalyst for innovative research collaborations.
- Creating a supportive and stimulating environment for intellectual risk taking and experimentation, encouraging ongoing serendipitous interactions that can extend the frontiers of research.
- Providing UBC Scholars with the sustained opportunity to exchange ideas with influential national and international visiting scholars at the PWIAS.
- Increasing integration of multimodal and expressive arts as an important component of research across all disciplines.
- Providing support in the mobilization and showcasing of research to diverse audiences.
- Providing seed funding for innovative projects that have the potential to make a significant contribution to the global research community and to society at large.
Wall Scholars are provided with office space and $20,000 that can be used for a wide range of research-related expenses (travel, books, research assistants, stipends etc.). Additional funding is available for course release and for special interdisciplinary projects while scholars are in residence.