Department of Education and Counselling Psychology and Special Education Department Head Search
The Faculty of Education invites internal applications for the position of Head, Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology and Special Education.
We are looking for a tenured faculty member in the Faculty of Education, at the rank of Professor or Professor of Teaching, with an international reputation and a strong record in their field of research or educational leadership. This individual should have interests and expertise in key areas of the Department such as Teacher Education and Graduate Programs and a desire to interact with colleagues from different fields of study within the Department, Faculty of Education, UBC, and the wider community.
Applicants should show evidence of effective academic leadership and successful administrative experience, especially in strategic planning including academic programs, graduate student recruitment, budgets and HR, along with team-building, collaborative engagements, problem‐solving and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Cultural competency in relation to human rights and diversity and a familiarity with the policies and procedures by means of which we articulate and negotiate meaningful, trustworthy, and ethical relationships with all individuals and communities while acknowledging differences, such as those of race, gender, sexual orientation, ability/disability, and class.
- Being able to plan, work and tackle academic and HR problems strategically and effectively, including a critical awareness of the role of collective agreements, Faculty Association and Faculty Relations
- Supporting teacher development and pedagogical innovation
- Demonstrating fairness and equity in handling personnel matters
- Understanding budgets and dealing intelligently with budget issues
- Working respectfully with staff, faculty and students
- Communication that is clear, organized and regular
- Decision‐making that is fair, ethical and transparent
- Dealing with conflict and a range of personnel matters through informed and thoughtful form of mediation
- Leadership in departmental, faculty and university‐wide committees
- Leadership locally, nationally and globally
- Support for engagements across the faculty, university and community
- Support for faculty development and an understanding of tenure and promotion process, policies and procedures
- Support for Indigenous initiatives
- Valuing social
The Headship appointment is for a term of up to 5 years, with the potential for renewal of another 5 years. The appointment is effective July 1, 2020. There will be an annual administrative stipend attached to the Headship appointment and the incumbent is eligible for an administrative leave at full professorial salary following a full term of the Headship appointment, as per UBC Policy #22.
Interested members should contact Faustina Cheung, Administrative Assistant to the Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org or 7-2174), by Friday July 26, 2019 to schedule a one-on-one meeting with the Dean to discuss the application.