Dr. Wendy Carr
Dr. Wendy Carr is a Professor of Teaching in Language and Literacy Education in the Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia, Canada. She has had a long career in education in the school system as teacher and district level consultant as well as in post-secondary as a teacher educator and administrator, having recently served as Associate Dean of Teacher Education and currently in the role of Senior Advisor to the Dean.
Her work in recent years in mental health literacy education has included:
- co-creation of a curriculum for pre-service teachers to develop their understanding and skills related to youth mental health, freely available in a massive open online course (MOOC),
- completion of a number of research studies that have been published nationally,
- mobilization of BC school district leaders to build staff professional capacity in mental health literacy through core trainer institutes,
- collaborative projects with a number of partners including the Ministry of Education, various mental health agencies and other provinces in co-developing a Mental Health Literacy Guide for Indigenous youth, and
- development of resources for educators, counsellors and administrators to address children and youth living with family violence.
More information: lled.educ.ubc.ca/profiles/wendy-carr