Details about the current guidelines, practices, and policies in faculty hiring—in which equity, diversity, inclusion, and decolonization (EDID) are embedded—can be found in the Faculty Hiring Guidelines.
Updates and significant projects related to addressing EDID in faculty hiring include:
- From September-December 2022, Dr. Reginald D’Silva and Hann Scurlock prepared a Literature Review on Constructing Inclusive Job Advertisements, as a resource and to apply to the Faculty Hiring Guidelines. This project was partially funded by the UBC Equity Enhancement Fund.
- From January-September 2022, Dr. Reginald D’Silva, Dr. Lesley Andres, Anna Bin, Michael Wilkinson, and Julia Burnham saw through the project “Equity in Faculty Hiring: Evaluation of a Two-year Hiring Pilot Initiative”. This project was partially funded by the UBC Equity Enhancement Fund. The project sought to evaluate the two-year pilot initiative launched by the Faculty to improve equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in the Faculty’s hiring practices. The project culminated in a Final Report and an accompanying Literature Review and Equity in Faculty Hiring.
- From 2019-2021, the Faculty of Education held a two-year pilot project for EDI in faculty hiring. This initiative brought the following changes to the faculty hiring process, including:
- Diversity statements and the completion of the mandatory Equity Employment Survey from all applicants
- Rationales on EDI for key steps in the search process: proposals for new positions and job advertisements, search committee membership, recommendations for the shortlist, and the final recommendation for hiring
- Resources and support to search committees on assessing applicants’ contributions to EDI