Submit complete applications by email to Education Research by 4:00 PM, Monday May 4, 2020.
The SSHRC Explore Grant, formerly called the HSS Seed Grant, distributes funds from UBC’s annual SSHRC Institutional Grant to maintain or strengthen research capacity and research excellence in the social sciences and humanities. The primary goal of the Explore Grant is to support high-quality Faculty of Education humanities and social sciences research by providing small funds to support early stage research activities that will lead to the development of external research funding applications.
Terms of Reference
- Members of the Faculty of Education professoriate are eligible for this competition (Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors). Only one application per principal investigator is eligible.
- Funds are open to both newer and more established faculty.
- Applicants with open HSS Seed Grants (unspent funds and/or project reports to be submitted) are not eligible to apply.
- Preference will be given to proposals that include at least one of the following: opportunities for graduate student training/mentorship, collaboration within the Faculty of Education, or collaboration across disciplinary/faculty boundaries.
- Eligible seed activities include (but are not restricted to) pilot research; field/library/archival research; and synthesis or re-analysis of data collected through previously completed projects.
- Applicants must make a strong case for how the proposed activities will support the development of future research grant application(s).
- The maximum value of each award will be $7,000.
- The term of the grant is 12 months beginning from the date of the award notice. No funding extensions are available
- Neither conference travel nor teaching buy-out are eligible expenses for this funding program.
- Funds are not intended to complete or supplement Tri-Council or other currently funded projects.
- Only one Explore grant per research project will be awarded.
- Successful applicants must submit a report to the ORE within one month of the end of the term of the award describing how they used the funds and how the project has or will lead to future external research funding applications.
For more information, please contact:
Office of Research in Education (ORE) Education Research