History of the Faculty

1956

The UBC Board of Governors approves Neville Scarfe as Dean of the new Faculty of Education. Over the summer the faculty increases from five to forty-two members, replacing the Provincial Normal School, a publicly funded post-secondary institute run by the Department of Education for teacher training. Registration at the new Faculty of Education for the 1956/57 school year is 905, made up of 537 elementary teacher candidates and their 332 secondary counterparts.

1960

Report of the Royal Commission on Education (The Chant Commission) urges “the aim of having all teachers complete a degree course to be implemented as soon as possible."

1962

On October 4, Premier W.A.C. Bennett opens the Education (later the Neville Scarfe) Building.

1963

In September, the first doctoral students in education begin their programs.

1963/64

The School of Physical Education, now the School of Kinesiology, becomes part of the Faculty.

1970

In September, the Indian Education Resource Centre, a forerunner of the Native Indian Teacher Education Program, is established.

1972/73

The Faculty begins a series of alternative models for the professional year with the Sentinel Secondary School Project and the Elementary Open Area Teaching Project.

1973

John H.M. Andrews becomes Dean.

The Education Building is renamed Neville Scarfe in honour of the Faculty's first Dean.

1976

The Faculty establishes the Centre for the Study of Curriculum and Instruction.

1979

Roy Bently appointed as Dean.

1981

Daniel R. Birch becomes Dean.

1983

The Committee on Undergraduate Program Revisions recommends a complete revision of both the elementary and secondary programs.

1984

In September, the first students enroll in the Ts’‘Kel graduate program for First Nations students.

1986/87

Increased focus on graduate programs and research occurs with the creation of the Office of Graduate Programs and Research.

1987

Nancy M. Sheehan becomes Dean.
The College of Teachers is established with the authority to issue and cancel certificates and to approve the Faculty’s teacher education programs.

1988/89

Off-campus teacher education programs are established in Castlegar and Kamloops.

1990s

Research in the Faculty comes of age, with several major collaborative, interdisciplinary projects. Many involve partnerships with other faculties and schools on local, provincial, national, and international scales.

1994

During UBC’s World of Opportunity fundraising campaign, two chairs and one professorship are established in the Faculty.

2000

Robert J. Tierney becomes Dean.

2007

The Faculty celebrates its 50th anniversary.The Faculty of Education commissioned Musqueam carvers know as Direction 7, to create a yellow cedar panal as a 50th Anniversay legacy art project, which is located in the foyer of the Scarfe Building.

2010

Robert Tierney steps down as Dean. Jon Shapiro appointed Dean pro tem.

2011

Blye Frank appointed Dean.

2013

Groundbreaking for the new Ponderosa Commons building slated to open in 2015. The new building, together with the Scarfe Building, promises a home for the Faculty of Education that technologically supports today's way of learning and is physically designed to foster working collaboratively. Learn more about Ponderosa Commons.