Before leaving for this holiday season, help save energy and keep valuables safe by taking some simple actions:
Seasonal Shutdown Tips from Sustainability
Holiday Tips from Campus Security
- Switching off electronics
- Turning off the lights
- Unplugging small appliances
- Closing windows and blinds
- Reporting any air or water leaks
- Shutting down non-essential lab equipment
- Closing and locking office and exterior building doors & windows
- Turning off office lights and electronic equipment
- Locking away portable equipment, tools, laptops and any external data devices
- Closing blinds and curtains
- Locking valuable personal property out of sight or taking it home
- Ensuring all your data devices are encrypted for security
- Protecting your building and office keys at all times to prevent risk to your workspace
Preparing for Extreme Winter Weather at UBC
As per the Snow Policy, if UBC is subject to extreme winter weather conditions, the administration may decide to cancel or reschedule classes and/or curtail non-essential services. You are advised to regularly check UBC’s homepage in the event of extreme weather.
Building Operations offers ice prevention and snow removal services. Visit Building Operation’s snow plan webpage for see a map that identifies priority roads, sidewalks and pathways when dealing with an ice or snow event.
Building Operations’ custodial staff work in concert with the municipal services staff to clear and salt the main access to campus buildings, stairs, and external work areas such as loading docks. Priority is focused on main building and accessible entranceways so please use main entranceways during extreme weather. If you see any areas that require the attention of Building Operations, please contact the Service Centre at 604-822-2173.