Dr. Samson Nashon:
EDCP Headship Reappointment
The Advisory Committee (with full attendance) met for the first time on Wednesday, October 14th 2020, to receive a policy orientation and to discuss the process.
Following the Committee’s recommendation, we have informed Dr. Nashon of the next steps:
- The Dean’s Office has created an online feedback form for anyone who wishes to share their opinion on the reappointment consideration starting from Monday, October 19th 2020;
- The Dean’s Office will schedule an interview and discussion between Dr. Nashon and the Advisory Committee, so that Dr. Nashon may present administrative achievements over his first term and his vision and plan for continuing to lead the Department;
- The Advisory Committee will make a recommendation to me as Dean, and I will forward the recommendation to the Provost.
I encourage you to make the effort to provide feedback through the online form before 4:30 p.m. on November 10th 2020, linked here.
Note that the Advisory Committee is a personnel committee and, therefore, the interview with Dr. Nashon and related deliberations are confidential. The committee is advisory to the Provost and Vice President Academic, who makes the final decision.
The following membership of the Advisory Committee for this process has been approved by the Provost September 18th 2020:
- Dr. Douglas Adler, Assistant Professor of Teaching (EDCP)
- Dr. David Anderson, Professor (EDCP)
- Dr. Robert Boushel, Director and Professor, School of Kinesiology (KIN)
- Dr. Peter Gouzouasis, Professor (EDCP)
- Ms. Gunita Gupta, doctoral student (LLED)
- Dr. Shannon Leddy, Assistant Professor of Teaching (EDCP)
- Dr. Lisa Loutzenheiser, Associate Professor (EDCP)
- Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin, Professor (EDCP)
- Dr. Kerry Renwick, Associate Professor (EDCP)
- Ms. Kirsty Robbins, Graphic Designer (EDCP)
Memo from the Office of the Dean August 7th 2020
As you may be aware, Dr. Samson Nashon’s term as Head of the Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy comes to an end on June 30, 2021. Dr. Nashon has expressed his interest in being reappointed for a second five-year term. I have received approval from the Provost to initiate the reappointment consideration process.
In accordance with Policy AP9, I will now convene an Advisory Committee, chaired by me as Dean, to advise the Provost on Dr. Nashon’s reappointment as Head. The Advisory Committee may also advise on matters of future priorities for the Department.
The Advisory Committee will include faculty members, staff and students, with at least 50% elected by tenure stream faculty members from the Department and the remaining 50% appointed by the Dean.
The general timeline for this process is as follows:
- • By mid-September 2020 Advisory Committee membership finalized and announced
- • September-October 2020 Review process
- • October 2020 Advisory Committee makes a recommendation to the Dean
- • November 2020 Process outcome announced
An online feedback form to solicit your opinion regarding Dr. Nashon’s potential reappointment will be shared in due course. I encourage you to participate in this process in whatever way you can. I will provide you with updates on the process as it unfolds.