There is a three-stage application process:
Notice of Intent (NOI: Online Convergence Portal deadline, February 14 8:30 AM; Agency deadline February 18, 2020)
Letter of Intent (LOI: Agency deadline April 15, 2020)
Full application (by invitation only, agency deadline November 18, 2020).
- Applicant’s e-submission Deadline: Your electronic application should be submitted via the Convergence Portal no later than Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:30 am
- Sponsor Deadline: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 4:30 pm
- Note: Internal signatures are waived at NOI Stage. ORS will do a cursory check on NPI eligibility prior submission.
The objective of the Transformation stream is to support large-scale, Canadian led interdisciplinary research projects that address a major challenge with the potential to realize real and lasting change. The challenge may be fundamental, leading to a scientific breakthrough, or applied, with a social, economic, environmental or health impact. Projects are expected to be world-leading, drawing on global research expertise, when relevant.
Transformation stream grants will support projects that:
- tackle a well-defined problem or challenge;
- propose a novel world-leading approach that is different from the current state-of-the-art approaches to the issue;
- are interdisciplinary, bringing different perspectives to the defined problem; and
- have the potential to be transformative, defined as the potential to create a significant and real change or impact—a noticeable leap or tangible breakthrough rather than an incremental advance.
The definition of transformative is linked to the Canada Foundation for Innovation’s proposed definition of convergence research (PDF, 726 KB), where “convergence research is increasingly seen as the way to solve pressing challenges.” It is aligned with the National Science Foundation’s definition of convergence research, focusing on research driven by a specific and compelling problem and deep integration across disciplines. It also has strong parallels to Horizon Europe in its reference to mission-oriented research and innovation with bold and concrete objectives to respond to societal challenges.